Friday, July 15, 2011

Running in Quito



This morning I woke up early, but couldn’t go back to sleep. So, I just got up and piddled around the new apartment. It’s been so much fun planning how to make it mine! (The framed picture above my bed of Virgin Maria with the 6 swards stabbing her flaming heart got the boot!)

Back to running. So the main park in Quito, Parque Carolina is just blocks from my apartment. This is where Quiteños go early in the mornings for their daily exercise. There are several types of exercisers I’ve noticed:
·      The people who are bundled up like they’re in the Artic, walking at a leisurely pace.
·      People like me who are just out for a nice relaxing morning jog.
·      Speed walkers who are training for national competitions. For real! Jefferson Perez, is an Olympic Gold Medal winning Ecuadorian. Ever since his medal, speed walking is somewhat of a national sport. And these folks have the hip swivel down just right.
·      Runners who look really fast and must be training for some big race at altitude.
·      Folks out for exercise, but not running. They’re doing a combo of old school calisthenics. It’s hilarious to watch and makes my run exciting seeing the variety of folks out for a little morning fitness.

What I love about running in Parque Carolina is the variety of people you see. Old, young, fast, slow, fat, skinny, some dressed for fitness, others dressed for warmth. All of us trying to do something good to start the day. Not a boring run!

1 comment:

  1. You're THERE! Congratulations!! Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do!!! Perfect weather and 25 roses for a dollar. Sounds like heaven! I need to get outside right now -- we've had horrendous weather -- to tend to my yard. If I don't do it now, I won't be able to do it. It wss 108 degrees this week, with intolerable humidity. So I'll be back. So good to be able to say hi!!! XXOO

    ReplyDelete