Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ruku Pichinca


Ruku Pichincha

Quito, the capital of Ecuador, is a sprawling city stretching more than 30 km. I live in the north of Quito, the modern part, then there is the center of Quito (Centro Historico which is very old with cobblestone streets and white buildings, old cathedrals-very European) and the south of Quito which reminds me of slums. I could see ALL of Quito yesterday when I went up the new TeleferiQo, a gondola system that takes you up Ruku Pichincha volcano.

Yesterday, probably wasn’t the best day to do this because it was cloudy. But I still got some great views. From the top of the TeleferiQo you can hike further up to the summit of the volcano. I attempted this yesterday. The trail was great, just a bit of an incline but as I got closer and closer I was walking through thick fog. The weather began to change dramatically. I got really cold, heard thunder and then it began to hail. Luckly I’ve been hiking enough to know to always carry extra raincoat, hat and gloves. I was fine walking down in the hailstorm. But I passed other hikers who were soaking wet, running down the hills to the base. Some of the women were even in high heels! I guess yesterday wasn’t my day, but hopefully someday soon I’ll be able to summit Ruku Pichincha.

No comments:

Post a Comment