Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Importance of Small Change




I emptied my wallet and put it away for awhile, the wallet with a million compartments for credit cards, insurance cards, Blockbuster cards, Panera cards, Driver’s licenses and the TINY compartment for change. I just don’t need it here. I find that here in Ecuador all I need is a small change purse. And when I say small I mean small bills and coins. Instead of having my credit card available what I really need are quarters, half dollars and one dollar bills. These are much more valuable to me. Why you ask? Because NO ONE in this country has change! Even though Ecuador uses the American Dollar (since the year 2000, when their own currency the Sucre was so devalued, they have switched to the dollar). However stuff here just costs so much less that in the US. A twenty dollar bill is virtually useless. So, I end up with this mentality of always trying to break my twenties so that I can have small change. This is possible in some of the nicer restaurants where perhaps in stead of paying just $1.50 for a three course lunch (paying with a five dollar bill is just about the max), perhaps I go to my favorite coffee shop with fresh juices, sandwiches, coffees  and WiFi. I can end up spending the whopping amount of four dollars and then, maybe then will I be able to break my twenty.  Just to give you an idea of the cost of things:
One way on the trolley that travels from one end of the city to the other-25 cents
A roll filled with chocolate 8 cents
The use of a public toilet 15 cents
An hour bus ride one dollar (increases by a dollar for every hour-so a bus ride to a town 8 hours away is 8 dollars)
A nice three course lunch or dinner ($1.50-$3.00)
An hour of internet 60 cents
30 mandarin oranges $1.00
6 avocados $1.00
(OF course, not everything here is cheap. Imported goods like electronics, cars, American brand clothing is almost double the price of back home.)


One must always have small change. One of the most common phrases you’ll here is “No tiene sueltitos?” (Don’t you have any small change?)

So for now, I’m happy with my small change purse!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Here, I thought I was going to read about "the change" you've made in your life -- which is not small -- and I'm reading about money!!! This article is especially poignant, as we just got bak from Ireland where one Euro equals 1-1/2 dollars. ouch!!!

    I've told everybody about this post. Ecuador uses the Amcn $?! Who knew?! Enjoy your change purse and the simpler way of living that I think it will bring.

    ReplyDelete