Monday, April 30, 2012

It's May!

Wow, I can't believe it's May. The year has gone by really quickly. I have just two more months of school, then my family comes to visit for a few weeks. I'm going to show them the gems I've discovered throughout my travels here in Ecuador...and I then return home for a few weeks of R&R in July and August.

May 1 is May Day or Labor Day throughout most of the world. So, we've got a random Tuesday off of school. (I wish it were a Monday, but oh well!)

Why do I love Banos? I come here at least every 6 weeks. It's perfect for me! A tiny little hamlet nestled in the green rolling hills. Full of art, really good restaurants catoring to gringos (hey that's me!), but also a mix of Ecuadorians. Many mestizos and indigenous folk come to Banos for the healing of the baths. You can always hear Quichua being spoken on the streets as well as English, Italian, French and of course Espanol. It's a cool international mix of folks. The people watching is amazing. (Also, I'm always a sucker for a great massage, which Banos has plenty of affordable options). Hammocks are plenty, hiking is great. A wonderful place to unwind for a few days.

What else can I update you on...school is going well! I'm trying not to get to used to having just 11 students (I know, other teachers, please don't hate me!) Our current Unit of Inquiry is all about Global and Local Contributers. The students are researching a famous person who contributed to the world and are going to be doing a Wax Museum for other students and their parents. Also, we organized a Bake Sale to raise funds for a local contributors project. We're going to be reforesting a farm a little bit outside of Quito in a desert area. I figured this would be the most sustainable thing to do with just $130. We had a good conversation with the kids about waht to do with the money. I thought it was great that many of my students offered "Let's give it to the poor kids". OK, so we go out on the streets and give them money. And they buy rice and beans. And they eat for a few weeks. Then what? The kids didn't know...
When I offered the tree planting option that would last for 40-50 years, clean the air and help everyone, they were convinced that perhaps my option was better. I still want to figure out a way for them to connect to "the poor kids" as they call them. But now it not the best time. I'll keep thinking and welcome your ideas too!
We've also got Student-Led conferences this week which I think is a nice change from the typical teacher-led conferences. Students have been collecting work samples, art and other projects in a portfolio to present and showcase to their parents. Even the kids who struggle have a chance to be proud of work they've done.
Happy Spring!
Love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment