Sunday, April 22, 2012

Not a whole lot new going on here...just want to keep writing to keep you all informed and to keep myself in the routine of writing!

In the world of work...
International Festival was a great success yesterday. We had booths from all over the world including: Jordan, Israel, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina, China, USA, Canada, Russia, Chile, Spain. At the booths were foods prepared from the country, parents dressed in typical dress, music, dancing. It was a great celebration of the diversity of the school.

Zoo Trip-I also took my class to the Quito Zoo on Thursday. Although I'm probably ruined forever for zoos because I lived so close to the National Zoo, it was OK for a developing country. There were lots of monkeys and tropical birds. Also a deer exhibit which I thought was really weird. And a random Kangaroo. But my city kids were loving seeing all the animals and any learning outside the classroom is a great day!

Labor Day May 1-That's the next Holiday we have. It's a really big deal here, probably because most people work so hard, so it's nice when the government recognizes them with a rare day off.

Planning the Quito Marathon on July 8. I love running, but it's tough in altitude. I've got a great group of women to run long with so that helps. Also the iPod helps too! It won't be a PR by any means, it wll be a challenge to finish 26.2 miles at altitude...that's the goal right now.

Rain rain go away! I miss the bright blue Quito skies! It's been gray and cloudy for months now. We do get the occasional glimpse of the Andean sky, for about 20 minutes each day...please summer, come soon!

Two more months of school...then summer break :-) I'm excited to plan a great trip for my parents and aunt and uncle. Then I'll spend a few weeks at home and in Colorado. Till then, must finish the school year strong!!!

Love you all!
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Last night we watched the movie - We bought the Zoo - and loved it. Reminds me of your description of the Quito zoo. The movie was based on a true story and a whole lot fun to watch. If you are worried a bit about the 26.2 in the shape you are in, I better be really training to do the half marathon! From Maryland to Quito is a big leap.

    We've had rain and cold here, too. First time we've had a fire for months.

    ReplyDelete