Sunday, October 2, 2011

30 de Septiembre

One year ago on September 30, here in Ecuador there was an attempted coup against President Rafael Correa. The national police force tried to take power. There was violence and attempted kidnapping and coup.

So this September 30. 2011, President Correa organized a “Dia de la Deomcracia” commemorating the day. He reportedly paid folks $10 each (a large amount of money if you’re poor) gave them a free bus trip to Quito and a T-shirt  to come to the HUGE demonstration in the city’s park, Parque Carolina. When I say huge I mean enormous! There must have been thousands of people there. Of course, as Americans, we were warned to stay away, but it was just blocks from my house so I went.

There were indigenous groups from all over the country in their proudest moment. There were also mestizos from the coast, from the southern part of Ecuador and from the north. These are people, some of them had more than a 20 hour journey to get to the capital. From what I could tell, it was really quite peaceful. Lots of music, laughing, videos of the day a year ago displayed on a huge screen. In my opinion, it was an awesome display of national unity-Afro-Ecuadorians from the coast, little old indigenous women from the highlands, tribal chiefs with feathered head dresses from the jungle.

I’m not quite sure yet what I think of Rafael Correa. I know he’s a leftist and that a lot of Ecuador’s elite are not happy with what he’s done with the country (these are my friends from Academia Cotopaxi). Yet, when I talk with my poor friends from the jungle and from Chimborazo they are thrilled with how empowered they feel. It’s the first time that they feel they’ve got an elected leader who represents them. They feel they have a voice. I’m not sure Correa is a wack-o as the press makes him out to be. But, I suppose I don’t have to make up my mind about him right now…

Let’s see, in other news, I’m trying to take advantage of the weekends to get out of the city and take my new friends to beautiful places. So, even though I’ve been to Mindo lots, I’m here again with a new friend. She and I are staying at El Quetzal, a local chocolate factory and coffee roaster. The aroma is amazing! Today will probably be a hike through the cloud forest, some bird watching and a tour of the chocolate factory with a tasting at the end J

Keep in touch!

Love, Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Good observation about Correa and about the indigenous people. I guess the will tell if the whole country is better under his leadership. Hugo Chavez tried a similar tack next door but I think he's more partisan than Correa. I'll be interested in learning more.

    Glad you got back to Mindo. I remember that coffee place.

    ReplyDelete