Monday, February 13, 2012

Some images from the weekend

Some images from a weekend in Quito. Normally I travel, but this weekend I stayed home. It was nice to explore Quito. I went for a long run (thinking of doing the Quito marathon at the end of June). I ran from my apartment in the North of Quito down to Quito Centro Historico. Beautiful early in the morning with the cobblestone streets, beautifully preserved Spanish architecture, balconies, flowers…I felt like this before, but it was like running through a postcard. Then it was brunch at Mr. Bagel, a gringo place with wonderful bagel flavors, natural fruit juices, coffee drinks. (plus used books and magazines and wi-fi)

Also, on the weekends, Quito city government closes the main road to car traffic so it’s all bikes, runners, walkers, roller bladers, etc. Frequently, when I’m home on the weekends, I’ll rent a bike and ride Quito. It’s pretty hilly but I love the variety of sights. Here’s some things I saw…

·        In Quito’s Centro Historico (which was named the Cultural Center of the Americas) there are always street performers, jugglers, painters, dancers, musicians). One that I saw this weekend was a puppeteer. He did some traditiaonl stuff-his encore was hilarious! Michael Jackson doing Beat It. Pretty random.

·        Also, an indigenous man playing Andean flutes. One zamponia (Andean pan pipe) that he was playing was taller than he was and he had to stand on a ladder!

·        A Carnaval band playing traditional carnaval music. Then the audience began to dance. A man who must have been in his 90’s was just having the time of his life. Wow, he was reliving some intense moment of his youth, you could see it in his ecstatic face. Although his movements were slow, they were precise and he was enjoying himself so much.

·        At the park, Carolina there is all day aerobics on the weekends. Now, I’ve done Zumba in the US, but would not even attempt it here! The Ecuadorian women have hips made of rubber bands. It was so fun for me just to take a break and watch them dance! Although Zumba was choreographed, these women made it look like there were on Dancing with the Stars or even better, enjoying a night out at the Salsotecha. Merenge, Salsa, Bachata, Reggeton…they made it all look so beautiful. I think you have to be born in the culture to be able to move like that! No matter how many classes I take, I won’t be able to do that, that’s for sure!

Feeling relaxed and refreshed for a busy week ahead. Love you! Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment