Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Grateful for my health


Most mornings I start my day with a run around Parque Carolina. It’s a 2.2 mile loop around the park. I’ve written before about this place…I love it because I can go as long or as short as I have time for, it’s well lit and there are tons of folks at all paces. Some out for a morning stroll, others training hard at race pace. Most times I’m in a good mood, but of course, we all go through running phases where we think…why am I doing this? Why does it hurt? Why do I feel like this?

Yesterday was sort of one of those days. I was just sort of slogging through a run, thinking more about the million and ten things I wanted to get done at school before the kids came. My pace was slow and I was feeling sorry for myself. Imagine!

Then a handicapped man with a CP-like affliction came loping towards me, hopping, stumbling, arms flailing. I almost asked him if he needed help before I realized that he too was out for a morning run. Enjoying the fresh, cool morning air, taking in the birds’ songs, breathing. As he flailed and stumbled and jogged I choked back tears. What in the world do I have to feel sorry for myself about?

Wow. What a good reminder of how fortunate I am to have my health, my life and even the ability to go out for a morning jog. I am grateful.

1 comment: