Sunday, September 25, 2011

Feeling Blessed in Banos

It seems like awhile since I’ve posted, so let me catch you up…

School is going wonderfully! I’ve got 11 beautiful children, a full time assistant and parents who come in and help. A teacher’s dream J. We had back to school night last Thursday. I was a little nervous to meet the parents, but all were very complimentary and supportive. I’m looking forward to working with them this year.

Yoga is something new I’m trying this year. A fellow teacher gives classes after school. What a wonderful way to stretch and bring more awareness. I really enjoy these hour long sessions. With this same woman who teaches yoga, I’ve been doing some long runs because we’re running the Half Marathon Mitad del Mundo. We run from Quito to the equator line. This comes up later in November…we will be very proud of ourselves for running so long at altitude! Our long runs are in Parque Metropolitano a wooded park with lots of dirt trails, trees and hills. Beautiful for long runs.

        I haven’t forgotten my former students. I’ve written them each postcards and even got some back. That was wonderful! Thank you J

This weekend, I took some new friends to one of my favorite places, Banos. Staying at Posada Del Arte which is a hostel filled with brightly painted walls and art EVERYWHERE. As I’m writing this post, I’m sitting in the cute little dining room surrounded by candles, there’s a fire in the fireplace, the waterfall outside the window is audible with some relaxing music playing in the background. It’s almost too good to be true! Just finished the banana nut pancakes with fruit salad and deep rich coffee. Later on, we’ll hike up to Bella Vista to see the whole town of Banos and perhaps go to the volcanic hot baths.  In back of the hotal are beautiful gardens with hammocks…so you can lay in the hammocks and you’re surrounded by the lush Andes. Right now it’s a bit overcast and rainy, but the fire is warm. A good relaxing in front of the fire, catching up on reading type day. By the time I arrive in Quito later tonight, I’ll be completely recharged and ready for another week with the 2nd graders J

No comments:

Post a Comment