Sunday, September 18, 2011

Earthquake Drills and Danny Glover...kind of random, huh?

So…in the US, we practice code red, code blue in case of a school shooting. Guess what we practice here in Ecuador? Earthquake drills! Yes, that’s right. We had one for the first time a few days ago. The kids were in their first recess of the day and we hear the siren, warning us that it’s an earthquake drill. Of course, when it’s just practice, the kids think it’s fun. We had to crouch down in the middle of the soccer field. I think that’s the safest place to be if the buildings start to fall. Now, if we were in the classroom, we’d have to get down under the desks and hold on. I hope it doesn’t happen, but if it does, the kids in Ms. Rachel’s room will be prepared! Another difference is HATS. Since we’re right on the equator at high altitude the sun’s UV index is extreme (26 the last time I checked). So, in addition to wearing 50 SPF sunscreen the kids are required to wear hats every time we leave the classroom. (The way the school is laid out, it’s all outside hallways). That’s something that I’m always forgetting but the kids remind me, “Ms. Rachel, what about our hats!”

On a non-work note, Yesterday was just what I needed after two weeks of school! Two girl friends and I took the bus to Papallacta, a spa town about an hour east of Quito, heading towards the jungle. I soaked in the volcanic hot springs (with my obligatory bathing cap!), had a wonderful (and I mean WONDERFUL) massage to work out all my kinks. While I was relaxing in my massage, two of my friends were sharing a tub with Danny Glover. They said to me after my massage to look outside and yes, there’s no mistaking him, especially when he speaks…turns out he was at Papallacta with his family on vacation. Kind of random, huh?

1 comment: