Saturday, August 6, 2011

Puyo


Puyo

I’ve spent most of my time in Ecuador so far settling into Quito and staying at really beautiful lodges, traveling around, resting, relaxing, healing. IT’s pretty much been me time. Now for family time…

This week I’m staying with my ten-year old godson, Adrian and his family in the jungle in Puyo. (Priscilla is Adrian’s mom). I have know this family for ten years…I first met them because I dated Hector, Adrian’s uncle. This family has always taken care of my like a sister, a daughter, etc. Now that I am Adrian’s godmother, we have ties that will last forever. (They are so generous despite their poverty that I have my own room here for whenever I come to visit. They have decorated it with photos of me and keep it empty and very clean).

This is a family that is poor. But I don’t feel sorry for them for one instant (except I wish they had money for Priscilla’s thyroid operation). Why don’t I feel sorry for them? Because Jimmy (Priscilla’s husband and my compadre) works from home installing windows and constructing doors and other metal parts. The four kids are all in school and when they aren’t they play soccer, climb trees, bother each other, run around like crazy people and blast music at todo volumen! The house is always loud, noisy. The kids are so incredibly affectionate. They all sleep together and can’t imagine why I don’t want to get in the same bed with them too! This is a family that loves each other, takes care of each other and spends all their time together.

Breakfasts are prepared by Priscilla or Christian, the oldest son-rice with eggs and too sweet boiled tea, maybe a hotdog split between all if there is any extra money. Prepared with love. No running water, electricity “stolen” from the power lines. Chaotic. Roosters crowing, radio turned up. Clothes being scrubbed before the day’s heat and humidity make it too hot. Days here are so unscheduled…it’s good for me. Getting up when I feel like it, helping to prepare a big midday meal, hanging out with the kids, being lazy, watching movies during the day, helping the kids with school work, singing songs in English, Spanish and Quichua. Conversing for hours about nothing significant…They, of course, are thrilled that I’m going to be in their country for two years. Quito is a bit far (6 hours by bus), but I’ve invited them to come stay with me any time they have a free moment. I’d like to return their generosity.

The rain is another thing…we are, after all in the Amazon RAIN forest. The home is simple, made of wood slabs and a sturdy tin roof. The rains come mostly in the afternoon and evenings and they are deafening against the tin roof. There’s no way to keep talking or keep watching TV or really do anything except appreciate the power of the rain. I love to just lay down and listen.

Today, we’re going to spend all day at the swimming pool. This is a real treat for the kids, they look forward to it all year. Let’s hope the rains hold off!


1 comment:

  1. I love that you are so connected with this family; of course, I want to see Hector again and maybe take another bicycle ride!

    ReplyDelete