Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy New School Year!


Happy New Year! (For teachers, September is a NEW YEAR) After a break…I’m back to weekly blogging. You guys hold me accountable, please! Sometimes I feel that the ordinary details of my life aren’t really very interesting…however, I know that these ordinary details aren’t so ordinary to you guys in the big US of A (hopefully you understand).

For example, I’ve written that I live in a fairly affluent part of Quito. I don’t have a problem with this, I love it! It’s safe and there are restaurants and clean streets, etc. However, because there is wealth, there are also beggars on the streets, a lot more lately! I hope it does NOT become ordinary for me to walk past them and not notice, although I’m afraid that it is becoming ordinary. I try and give leftover food to the beggars, so that nothing goes to waste, but obviously this is not going to lift them out of poverty…

Tomorrow is the first day of school! Even though I’ve been teaching now for several years, there is still so much anticipation, can I really do this again? Will they like me? What if I get a child who is totally uncontrollable? (That’s never happened…but) And then there’s the anxiety dreams. Last night I dreamt that my second grade class was made up of 15 year old lacrosse boys, you know the types, too cool for school… I had planned my 7 year old songs and games and stories. They were TOTALLY unimpressed with me!

I did meet a few students on Friday…they were all so sweet and cute and eager to meet their new teacher. The families were very nice as well. I’m sure it will be fine! It’s just the what ifs!

SO far, I’ve got 13 students which is a GREAT class size…I’ll write more about the class once I actually get to know them!

In other news…but dear aunt and uncle, Chris and Janaki have been here in Ecuador for several months, traveling and getting to know the country. Janaki returns home, but Chris will be here for a while, volunteering in a village near Otavalo. I’d like to visit him on weekends I have free…life at my school is NOT the real Ecuador, so I need to get back into the rural villages. J I might help with some medical translation too, we’ll see how that pans out.

The weather here has been beautiful! We are definitely into summer…bright blue skies, exquisite views of the volcanos.

Hope everyone is doing well! I love you, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment