Friday, March 23, 2012

Just some Random Tidbits...

Blogging about life in Ecuador and other stuff…please these are just random tidbits from my life…

Talent Show at Academia Cotopaxi is tonight. It will mostly be high school kids doing goofy acts, but some are actually good! Reminds me of playing the piano in the Montreat Talent Show J

Protests-We didn’t have school yesterday because the city of Quito shut down all private and public schools. The reason? Indigenous marches in the city. Some groups have been walking to Quito since March 8. A two week journey to the capital. They all descended to the Centro Historico to demand something…not sure what. Anyway it was totally peaceful, kind of a party atmosphere, people sharing food, stories, etc. So thankful to live in a peaceful country. I guess the city of Quito wanted to be safe rather than sorry, so I understand. And hey, I’m not complaining about an unexpected day off of work! In the US we have snow days, here we have potential coups days! I was able to do all these small little tasks that require businesses to be open (challenging when they all close at 4pm and I work until at least 5pm every day!)

Let’s see, these are all just small little tidbits…if you’re bored, you can stop reading J

Easter eggs…yes, we are allowed to say THE WORD here at my school! We’re even allowed to have (gasp) an EASTER EGG HUNT!!! So, instead of buying the kit to dye the eggs, we’re going to use the plants from our class garden and make natural dyes for the eggs. Fun, especially for 7 year olds. We’ll do dyes made from beets, carrots, blackberries and onion skins. I’ll take photos.

Animal Presentations-I’m such a proud teacher! My kids have written their own plays explaining how to save endangered animals. They’ll be performing in front of the entire elementary school next Friday. It’s been a really fun unit to teach. The kids are so into it and there are endless possibilities to teaching-reading, writing, measurement, other math concepts…

Weather-Spring started to come (at least Spring, Quito style), now we’re back to downpours every afternoon…boo!!! I’m ready for the bright blue skies. Come quickly, please!

Kichwa Class-I’m excited to start (Quichua) Kichwa lessons. It will be every Saturday morning for 3 months. A big commitment, however I’ve mastered Spanish and for me, Quichua is the next most practical language to learn. I got a good base during Peace Corps, however, I’ve lost a lot of it. It’s a pretty simple language in its grammatical structure, I just need folks to practice with! I’ll keep you posted…

Happy Spring! Love Rachel J

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are taking Kichwa class and will be interested to see how that comes along.

    ReplyDelete